Tuesday 11 February 2014

Week 3: Theories

           Going into Week 3, I was not too excited to be learning about theories.  To me, even the word theory makes me cringe.  I always thought about theories as just a boring way to describe why certain things about the world are what they are.  I have to admit though, after just the first couple minutes of the class I was intrigued.  I find it extremely interesting that so many people spend years dedicating their life to proving a certain theory.  It is dangerous if you actually take a second to think about it, because there are probably so many cases where people will fudge the truth just to prove their theory correct.
            As we were talking about this in class, I could not help but think about how people do that in every day life, no just when they are trying set a theory in stone.  I thought about how many times people have blurred the lines of truth and lies just to make a point in an argument.  Even worse, how many times I may have told a little white lie or exaggerated the truth just to make a point.  It is kind of sad if you think about what people will do in order to be right in a conversation and not have their ego bruised by being wrong.  I think this plays a huge role in gender communication, not only just in relation to theories, but also in the ways that males communicate with males and females communicate with females.  There have been too many instances where I have witnessed my brother and my dad making stuff up just to try and prove each other wrong in an argument, which is so similar to someone fudging evidence when trying to prove a theory.  It is crazy if you think about it, how much gender communication theories connect and relate to real life.


No comments:

Post a Comment