Tuesday 1 April 2014

Week 9: Gendered Close Relationships

It’s safe to say that this week’s class really made me question all of the relationships that I have with my guy friends.  Do they actually like me?  Would they hook up with me if they were given a chance?  Do they know that we really are just friends?  I sure do hope so.  I was really intrigued by the video that was shown in class of the guy video taping the responses of people at his school when he was asking them if they believed they could simply be just friends with the opposite sex, so I went home and asked my roommates and this is what they said:
Me: Do you think boys and girls can just be friends?
Nicole: Yeah, I have plenty of guy friends!
Me: So you don’t think that if you gave them the chance that they would hook up with you?
Nicole: Oh yeah for sure they would but that would never happen.
Me: So you can’t just be friends with them?
Nicole: No I think some of them consider me as just a friend.
Me: So some of them wouldn’t hook up with you?
Nicole: No they wouldn’t.  Well I hope they wouldn’t.  I’m confused.

            And just like that, I turned Nicole’s whole day around too.  Now she was questioning all of the relationships she had with he guy friends.  Moral of the story is I think there is a strong miscommunication between men and women.  Women so quickly write men off into the friend zone, and don’t always realize that the boys might not feel the same way or want that to happen necessarily.  So how are you supposed to know if any of your guy friends are ACTUALLY you friend or if they are just waiting for you to finally let him get in your pants.

No comments:

Post a Comment